Talk to your client about his or her legacy …
As part of your regular discussions. The easiest, most successful strategy is to weave the topic of charitable contributions and vision for the future into the conversations you already routinely have with your clients. This approach makes for relaxed conversation that’s completely focused on the client’s interests.
When major life events occur. Periods of change are great times to start a conversation about what’s really important to your client. Such life events include:
– The sale of company or a major stake in a business
– Marriages and divorces
– Receiving an inheritance or other significant lump sum
– The birth or graduation of children or grandchildren
– Change in the marital status of a child
– The death of a family member
When a client complains about his taxes. It can be a good opening to talk about different charitable and gifting vehicles that can reduce what he or she is “giving” to the government.