No matter how far apart you are, a shared philanthropic endeavor can help bring your family together. Members of the family with very different interests and life experiences come together to reflect on their family’s values, to keep alive family traditions, to work together on a common cause or to simply celebrate the philanthropic initiatives of the different members.
Philanthropy becomes a very positive way to talk about and the family’s wealth and priorities. Experts believe family philanthropy can be “an important parenting tool with many benefits” (Charles Collier in Wealth in Families). Through philanthropy, children and young adults can develop skills in financial management, joint decision-making, analysis, prioritization, public speaking, as well as greater empathy, cultural understanding and generosity.
Because no two families are alike, we tailor our process so that your conversations build on and strengthens your family´s culture and bonds. You decide which generations and branches of the family to include and we provide the mechanisms and facilitation to do so, whether you all live in one community or are spread across the globe.
As experienced and neutral outsiders, we provide the know-how, structure and guidance to:
- Help family members talk constructively about what’s important to them.
- Pinpoint the values and principles that unite members of the family
- Articulate clear goals for the family’s philanthropy for society and for the family
- Design processes which take advantage of and strengthen family meetings and other family traditions
- Follow agreed upon procedures for respectful discussion and for decision-making
- Carry out the family’s philanthropic strategy (as needed)
- Communicate and learn from the results, successes and challenges of the family’s philanthropy